Once again Ubuntu Linux proves itself to be easy to upgrade. Going from 9.04 to 9.10 (one release newer, since their numbering is bsaed on dates) was easy, but included the standard sprinkling of manual re-customization that I’ve come to expect from Debian based systems.
Continue reading “Ubuntu 9.10 (Jaunty Jackalope) upgrade notes”
I’m at WordCamp San Francisco today and decided that running a year old version of WordPress (on a year old version of Ubuntu Linux) was undesirable. So, with the confidence that comes from many relatively easy Ubuntu OS upgrades, I charged ahead. For (I think) the second time ever, things went badly. Here’s what I did and how I fixed it.
Continue reading “Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 (Intrepid Ibex and Jaunty Jackalope) upgrade notes”
Painless! I’m actually starting to expect it to work without hitches now.
There are a couple of config file changes that need babysitting but none of them was difficult; I really do wish it would automatically do a three way merge between its old package version, the new version, and my version, and just assume “yes” if they merge cleanly.
Instructions are trivial: see Hardy Upgrades: Network Upgrade for Ubuntu Servers (Recommended).
This also works fine on Xen.
In short, gain with minimal pain, a couple of small hitches. I went single-core to dual-core with a drop-in replacement CPU and it was almost as easy as replacing the batteries in a flashlight.
Continue reading “Athlon64 3500+ to Opteron 175 upgrade notes”
I have a VPS hosted at RimuHosting.com. I waited a while (3 months) for bugs to be squashed before upgrading it to Ubuntu Linux 7.10 (“Gutsy Gibbon”). There was one new issue.
BTW, my non-Rimu home server was the first thing I updated. Notes are here.
The only Xen wrinkle is that you need the
libc6-xen package. I don’t know if that’s in Feisty or not. In my case I experienced a slew of scary Segmentation Fault errors in the package configuration stage. I found :this post which contains a solution for the problem. But if possible you might want to try installing that package before upgrading. If that doesn’t work, just use the method described in that post.
After doing that and running
dpkg --configure -a, it was okay. It did complain about AppArmor and being unable to do something with modules, but that seems to be not germane to Xen so I ignored it and rebooted, and everything seems fine.